Arman Pazouki, Ph.D
Ph.D, Assistant Scientist
University of Wisconsin-Madison
CMBD and FSI
- Developing computational framework for MBD and FSI. Current projects include: ice-structure interaction, dense suspension, and capping stack positioning.
- Investigation of multiphase/multicomponent flows.
- High performance computing.
- Animation: Dense Suspention of Ellipsoids
- Animation: Canopy Flow Including Solid-Solid Interaction
- Animation: Vehicle Mobility in Fording
Dynamics of granular material
- Rheology of heterogeneous granular material.
- Animation: Geometrically-Induced Cohesion and Smart Particles
- Animation: Optimization Based Ellipsoid Contact Detection
Chrono is a suite of open-source softwares for the investigation of MBD problems. I have been one of the main developers of Chrono and the lead developer of Chrono::FSI, an open-source software for the simulation of the fluid-solid interaction problems involving larger domain deformation and free surface flow. Chrono has been used in projects offered by US Army TARDEC, Oshkosh Truck, NASA, Caterpillar, MSC Software, and Statoil.
GPUSPH is an open-source CUDA implementation of the weakly-compressible Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH), which is developed by several contributors from US and Europe. Relying on my background on SPH and Chrono, I helped adding Chrono functionality for multibody dynamics into GPUSPH to provide a framework for the simulation of fluid-solid interaction problems. The changes will appear in the next release of the code.
Miscellaneous Open Source Codes
Please see my github page for a list of projects I have contributed to.
- A. Tasora, R. Serban, H. Mazhar, A. Pazouki, D. Melanz, J. Fleischmann, M. Taylor, H. Sugiyama, and D. Negrut, Chrono: An open source multi-physics dynamics engine, Springer, 2015 (submitted).
- A. Pazouki, R. Serban, and D. Negrut, A Lagrangian-Lagrangian framework for the simulation of rigid and deformable bodies in fluid, Multibody Dynamics: Computational Methods and Applications, ISBN: 9783319072593, Springer, 2014. (link, pdf)
- H. Mazhar, T. Heyn, D. Melanz, A. Pazouki, A. Bartholomew, D. Negrut, Paramsothy Jayakumar, and Alessandro Tasora, Accelerating multi-body simulation and visualization with GPU computing, Advances in Computers and Information in Engineering Research, ASME, 2014.(link, pdf)
- D. Negrut, A. Tasora, M. Anitescu, H. Mazhar, T. Heyn, and A. Pazouki, Solving large multibody dynamics problems on the GPU, GPU Gems 2. ISBN: 9780123859631, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2011. (link, pdf)
- A Lagrangian-Lagrangian Framework for the Simulation of Fluid-Solid Interaction Problems with Rigid and Flexible Components, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2014 (Document, Presentation)
- A. Pazouki, D. Negrut, Numerical investigation of microfluidic sorting of microtissues, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, 2015. (link, pdf)
- A. Pazouki and D. Negrut, A numerical study of the effect of particle properties on the radial distribution of suspension in pipe flow, Computers and Fluids, 2014. (link, pdf)
- A. Pazouki R. Serban, and D. Negrut, A high performance computing approach to the simulation of fully resolved coupled fluid-multibody dynamics systems with free surfaces, Archive of Mechanical Engineering, 2014.(link, pdf)
- H. Mazhar, T. Heyn, A. Pazouki, D. Melanz, A. Seidl, A. Bartholomew, A. Tasora, and D. Negrut, Chrono: A parallel multi-physics library for rigid-body, flexible-body, and fluid dynamics, Mechanical Sciences, 2013. (link)
- A. Pazouki, H. Mazhar, and D. Negrut, Parallel collision detection of ellipsoids with applications in large scale multibody dynamics, Mathematics and Computers in Simulation, 2012. (link, pdf)
Conference Papers and Presentations
- W. Savoie, A. Pazouki, D. Negrut, and D. Goldman, Smarticles: design and construction of smart particles to aid discovery of principles of smart, active granular matter, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Swarm Behavior and Bio-Inspired Robotics, 2015, Kyoto, Japan.
- A. Pazouki and D. Negrut, A fluid-multibody dynamics framework for the investigation of the subsea problems, ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (IDETC/CIE), 2015, Boston, Massachusetts.
- A. Pazouki, H. Mazhar, M. Aanjaneya, P. Jayakumar, E. Sifakis, and D. Negrut, A comparative study of four fluid-solid coupling methods for applications in ground vehicle mobility, European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering (ECCOMAS), 2015, Barcelona, Spain.
- A. Pazouki, Multiphysics simulation using GPU, GPU Technology Conference, 2015, San Jose, California.
- A. Pazouki, R. Serban, and D. Negrut, A fluid-solid interaction approach for the simulation of rigid and deformable bodies in Newtonian fluid, Proceedings of the ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (IDETC/CIE), 2014, Buffalo, New York.
- A. Pazouki, D. Negrut, Numerical investigation of flow cytometry using a microfluidic technique, 11th International Conference on Mesoscopic Methods in Engineering and Science (ICMMES), 2014, New York City, New York.
- H. Mazhar, R. Serban, D. Melanz, A. Pazouki, D. Kaczmarek, P. Jayakumar, A. Tasora, and D. Negrut, Chrono: An Open Source Parallel Simulation Framework for Many-Body Dynamics Applications, 17th U.S. National Congress on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (USNCTAM), 2014, East Lansing, Michigan.
- A. Pazouki, R. Serban, and D. Negrut, A fluid-solid interaction approach for the simulation of polymer motion in Newtonian fluid, 3rd Joint International Conference on Multibody System Dynamics (IMSD), 2014, Busan, Korea.
- A. Pazouki and D. Negrut, An investigation of particles suspension using smoothed particle hydrodynamics, 66th DFD Annual Meeting, American Physical Society 2013, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- A. Pazouki and D. Negrut, A Lagrangian-Lagrangian framework for the simulation of fluid/rigid-body interaction, European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering (ECCOMAS), 2013, Zagreb, Croatia.
- T. Heyn, H. Mazhar, A. Pazouki, D. Melanz, A. Seidl, A. Bartholomew, L. Fang, A. Tasora, E. Sifakis, and D. Negrut, Chrono: A parallel multi-physics library for rigid-body, flexible-body, and fluid dynamics, European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering (ECCOMAS), 2013, Zagreb, Croatia.
- A. Pazouki and D. Negrut, On the simulation of the moving rigid bodies in fluid media, International Symposium on Stability, Vibration and Control of Systems (SVCS), 2013, Albena, Bulgaria.
- A. Pazouki and D. Negrut, Direct simulation of lateral migration of buoyant particles in channel flow using GPU computing, Proceedings of the 32nd Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, ASME-IDETC, 2012, Chicago, Illinois.
- A. Pazouki and D. Negrut, A high-performance computing approach to the simulation of dense prticulate flow using smoothed particle hydrodynamics and discrete element method, The 6th Asian Conference on Multibody Dynamics, 2012, Shanghai, China.
- A. Pazouki, H. Mazhar, P. Hahn, and D. Negrut, A parallel algorithm for the coupling of the fluid flow and rigid-body dynamics with contact and friction, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 2011, Denver, Colorado.
- A. Pazouki, Million body simulations of granular dynamics on the GPU, SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering (Mini Symposium Presentation), March 1, 2011, Reno, Nevada.
- D. Negrut, L. Jay, A. Tasora, M. Anitescu, H. Mazhar, T. Heyn, and A. Pazouki, Simulation of multibody dynamics leveraging new numerical methods and multiprocessor capabilities, Proceedings of 2011 NSF Engineering Research and Innovation Conference, Atlanta, Georgia.
- A. Pazouki, H. Mazhar, and D. Negrut, Parallel ellipsoid collision detection with application in contact dynamics, Proceedings of 30th Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (CIE), ASME-IDETC, 2010, Montreal, Canada.
- H. Mazhar, D. Negrut, A. Pazouki, and A. Tasora, A scalable parallel method for large scale collision detection problems, The 5th Asian Conference on Multibody Dynamics (ACMD2010), August 23-27, 2010, Kyoto, Japan.
- A. Pazouki, Massively parallel collision detection on the GPU, SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing (Mini Symposium Presentation), February 25, 2010, Seattle, Washington.
- F. Javid, A. Pazouki, and A. Alasti, Application of fuzzy logic in solving PDEs with finite difference method, 15th Annual International Conference of Mechanical Engineering, ISME 2007, Tehran, Iran.
- High Performance Computing (advanced level graduate course; 1 semester)
- Introduction to Dynamic Systems (1 semester)
- Dynamics (1 semester)
4150 Mechanical Engineering Building
1513 University Avenue
Madison, WI 53706, USA
Email: apazouki (at) gmail (dot) com